Pregnancy Bloating: Pregnancy is a difficult period for any woman. During this period, hormonal changes occur very rapidly in women, due to which they have to face many problems. Not only this, when the weather changes, it also affects their health. For example, now that the winter season has started, it is very common for pregnant women to complain of bloating, constipation and gas problems. Generally, there are problems related to stomach and digestion during pregnancy. But this problem increases even more during cold days. Many reasons may be responsible behind this. You can adopt some easy home remedies to manage this problem. So let’s know about it-
Also read : These reasons can be behind increase in obesity during pregnancy: Weight Gain in Pregnancy
Causes of bloating problem in winter
Many reasons can be responsible for a pregnant woman having the problem of bloating, constipation or gas in winter. For example-
- A common cause of bloating during pregnancy is hormonal fluctuations. During pregnancy, the body produces higher levels of progesterone, which causes the digestive muscles to relax and digestion to slow down. This can cause problems like constipation, gas and flatulence.
- As the baby grows in size in the womb, the uterus expands to accommodate it, which can put extra pressure on the digestive organs. In such a situation, there may be a problem of bloating.
- During cold days, a pregnant woman does not drink enough water due to lack of thirst. Which can cause dehydration. When a pregnant woman’s body becomes dehydrated, it can cause bloating and gas.
- There is a lot of change in eating habits during cold days. Eating heavy food during festivals and wedding functions becomes very difficult for a pregnant woman to digest. Which can cause bloating and gas problems.
- Due to cold weather in winter, pregnant women rarely go out of the house. Not doing outdoor activities also has a negative impact on the digestive system and causes bloating.
- If a pregnant woman includes beans, cabbage, broccoli and carbonated drinks etc. in her diet, it can also cause stomach related problems.
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy can slow down the digestion process, allowing more time for gas to build up in the digestive tract.
- If there is not enough exposure to sunlight during cold days, it reduces the level of Vitamin D in the body. Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to digestive problems. In such a situation, a pregnant woman may suffer from bloating.
Home remedies to overcome the problem of bloating in winter
If you are facing the problem of bloating during cold days, then some small measures will help you a lot in getting rid of it-
- Keep yourself hydrated even during cold days. Drinking enough water helps prevent constipation, bloating and gas. Try to drink at least 8-10 glasses of water a day.
- Take special care of your diet. Pay special attention to fruits, vegetables and whole grains even in winter. Fiber rich foods will help digestion work better.
- Avoid eating too much at once in winter. Take several small meals throughout the day. It will be easy for your digestive system to digest it.
- Make a habit of drinking herbal tea or warm water with lemon to relax the digestive system.
- You may not be able to do too much workout during pregnancy, but still try to keep yourself active. Make a habit of doing light exercise like walking regularly. This helps in digestion.
- In winter, as far as possible, stay away from excess gas-forming foods like beans, cabbage, broccoli and carbonated drinks. Take extra care of your diet and identify potential triggers.
- You can also get a lot of relief from warm compress. You can apply it lightly around the stomach. You will definitely benefit from this to some extent.
- Pay attention to your body posture also. Maintaining good posture while sitting can prevent your digestive organs from contracting, which can reduce the chances of bloating.
- Eat food properly. Take your time during the meal and chew it thoroughly. Also, don’t talk while you’re eating. With this also the problem of bloating can be avoided.
- You can also take help of yoga to avoid digestive problems. However, never do this by yourself. Always do yoga under the supervision of an expert and consult your doctor once in this matter.
Ways to avoid the problem of bloating in winter
If you want that you do not have the problem of bloating in winter, then adopt some easy measures. For example-
- Avoid high fat food. These can make you feel uncomfortable.
- Do not take water or any other liquid with food. Instead, drink water between meals and keep yourself hydrated.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol and cigarettes. This can cause you not only bloating but also other problems.
- Avoid eating right before sleeping.